The full list of the*gameHERs award winners have been revealed – and a range of UK esports talent are amongst them.
The*gameHERs is an online platform that aims to support and empower women gamers, and the 2021 ceremony was its second annual awards event to honour and celebrate women in the gaming industry.
UK winners included Shoubna Naika-Taylor, aka Queenbeesenpai, curriculum lead of creative and digital at Coventry College, who won Top Educator in the Rising Star category, and Staffordshire University esports student Ellis Celia (aka Ellibear) won Rising Star – Best Intern.
London-based Black Girl Gamers was awarded Stream Team of the Year, while BreadWitchery, winner of Best Community Manager – Indie in the Marketing category, is based in London too. Best Esports Creative winner ThatGingerGrl also works from London, as well as California.
The full list of winners can be found at the bottom of this article.
Earlier this year, nominations opened for 36 individual awards across six categories, including esports, game development, content creation, charity, marketing and rising stars at the collegiate level. Hundreds of people and brands were nominated.
Those who amassed the most votes were announced at the awards ceremony a few days ago, which was livestreamed on the*gameHERs Twitch channel.
Some of the UK talent nominated included Guild Esports’ Gee Nelly (Top Charity Streamer of the Year), GGRecon’s Kateyrecon (Top Facebook Content Creator of the Year), Meg Kay (Megito, Top Journalist of the Year) and British Esports’ Bryony-Hope Green (also the journalist award).
Yinsu Collins and Jasmine ‘Veracity’ Kanuga were nominated in the Best On Camera Talent category, while Kaeyidream and Ellibear were up for the Best Social Media of the Year award.
GGRecon editor-in-chief Mel Ramsay was nominated for Top Educator in the Rising Star category, and UK-registered charity Safe In Our World was nominated for Most Charitable Gaming Organization.
The British Esports Association was also nominated in the Advocate of the Year and Most Inclusive Organisation categories. Rix.GG was also nominated for the latter, as well as The Goose House and Vulpine Esports.
“We are thrilled to launch year two of our award series to celebrate the incredible accomplishments of all women across gaming,” said Heather Ouida, co-founder of the*gameHERs.
“This year, we are collaborating with influential women and forward thinking sponsors to continue driving interest and create an inclusive community for gamers alike. As our platform continues to grow, our goal is to amplify the voices of women by providing a safe space to be themselves.
“We are working to educate and connect women through our impactful events such as the awards and much more.”
Here’s the full list of the*gameHERs 2021 award categories and winners:
- PrizePicks Top Team of the Year – 100 Thieves
- Version1 V1sionaries Top Player of the Year – Liquid Slysssa
- Most Inclusive Organization – Queer Women of Esports
- Best on Camera Talent – Jess ‘JessGOAT’ Bolden
- iFolio Best Esports Creative – ThatGingerGrl
- Best Team Brand Ambassador – KrystalogyTV
- Most Inclusive Studio of the Year – Respawn Entertainment
- Standout Indie Developer – Megan Fox
- Standout Triple A Developer – Jazmine Dudley
- Most Inclusive Game of the Year – Life is Strange: True Colors
- Narrative Designer of the Year – TheSugarVenom
- Sound Designer of the Year – Sassy_Composer
- Artist of the Year – Decknine_Cara
- Game Designer of the Year – Cypheroftyr
- Top Facebook Content Creator of the Year – TacticalGramma
- Top Cosplayer of the Year – Ginny Di
- Top Twitch Streamer of the Year – FaZe Kalei
- Top Stream Team of the Year – Black Girl Gamers
- Top Journalist of the Year – AmyChenOfficial
- Top Creative Streamer of the Year – YellowSpoonGirl
- Top TTRPG Campaign of the Year – Misfits and Magic (Dimension 20)
- Top Charity Streamer of the Year – Kaelena
- Most Charitable Gaming Organization – LatinosInGaming
- Best Charitable Drive – _TiffanyWitcher
- Charity of the Year – AbleGamers
- Advocate of the Year – Aychristene
- Best Community Manager – Triple A – GinalBruno
- Best Community Manager – Indie – BreadWitchery
- Top Community Activation – xMissesLuciferx
- Best Social Media of the Year – WatchGirlsPlay
Rising Stars – Collegiate
- Rising Star – Streamer – SweeetTails
- Rising Star – Collegiate Organization – Cal Women in Gaming
- Rising Star – Up & Coming Pro Player – iSmixie
- Rising Star – Rising Leader – Cechorba
- Rising Star – Top Educator – QueenBeeSenpai
- Rising Star – Best Intern – Ellibear
- Rising Star – Best Social Media – Calliope Games
Dom is an award-winning writer who graduated from Bournemouth University with a 2:1 degree in Multi-Media Journalism in 2007.
As a long-time gamer having first picked up the NES controller in the late ’80s, he has written for a range of publications including GamesTM, Nintendo Official Magazine, industry publication MCV as well as Riot Games and others. He worked as head of content for the British Esports Association up until February 2021, when he stepped back to work full-time on Esports News UK and as an esports consultant helping brands and businesses better understand the industry.