UPDATE (October 15th 2018): Work is underway on Meltdown Sheffield. The upcoming bar’s Facebook page recently shared this image:
“With almost all of the demolition and prep work completed, it’s time for the fit out to start taking shape,” Meltdown Sheffield said on Facebook, promising that the new bar will be ‘opening soon’. The preferred opening window is sometime between November and January 2019.
Here’s a concept image to give you an idea how the bar will look:
And another work in progress snap:
Things are happening..
Can anyone guess where we are hiding yet?#SheffieldIsSuper #meltdown #sheffield #Soon #wheresmeltdown #justopenalready pic.twitter.com/9NR8PZNjy7— Meltdown Sheffield (@MeltdownSheff) October 8, 2018
Original story below.
Original article (published September 20th 2017):
Esports and gaming bar chain Meltdown is set to open a new bar in Sheffield.
When asked if the chain has any plans to open new Meltdown bars in the UK, CEO Sophia Metz told Esports News UK: “We are opening a bar in Sheffield soon! And would love to open more, I think the UK has great potential. It all comes down to finding the right candidates now!”
While concrete details as to when the bar will open and what it will feature have not yet been revealed, you can expect it to be similar to Meltdown’s other bars.
They feature community tournaments, live viewing parties and other social events to get gamers together over a drink and some games.
There are currently 26 Meltdown bars, the majority of which are in France. The chain has plans to open more and reach other territories including the US.
Earlier this year, Meltdown laid out plans to launch a quarterly magazine and a new ‘Tribes’ membership scheme.
On the growth of UK esports, Sophia added: “The UK had a slow start, but now with companies like Gfinity and others it has caught up quickly and is offering great content for the fans.
“I would love to see more events developing throughout the country, as aside from Multiplay I didn’t see that many large-scale initiatives for LANs and exhibitions outside London.”
You can check out Esports News UK’s review of Meltdown London here.
Further reading: The great European esports cafe road trip
Image source: Meltdown London Facebook

Dom is an award-winning writer and finalist of the Esports Journalist of the Year 2023 award. He graduated from Bournemouth University with a 2:1 degree in Multi-Media Journalism in 2007.
As a long-time gamer having first picked up the NES controller in the late ’80s, he has written for a range of publications including GamesTM, Nintendo Official Magazine, industry publication MCV and others. He worked as head of content for the British Esports Federation up until February 2021, when he stepped back to work full-time on Esports News UK and offer esports consultancy and freelance services. Note: Dom still produces the British Esports newsletter on a freelance basis, so our coverage of British Esports is always kept simple – usually just covering the occasional press release – because of this conflict of interest.