Prince Harry is wrong to call for online games such as Fortnite to be banned, according to the UK’s first professional gamer.
Speaking at a YMCA to parents and mental health experts, the Duke of Sussex labelled online games “irresponsible” and slammed Fortnite.
He said: “The game shouldn’t be allowed. Where is the benefit of having it in your household?
“It’s created to addict, an addiction to keep you in front of a computer for as long as possible. It’s so irresponsible.
“Parents have got their hands up – they don’t know what to do about it. It’s like waiting for the damage to be done.”
But Sujoy Roy, a former Quake player, who was the UK’s first esports professional, said Prince Harry was the latest to misunderstand the value of such games.
“The game shouldn’t be allowed. Where is the benefit of having it in your household?”
Prince Harry
Sujoy Roy, who is now Director Esports at Luckbox, said: “Fortnite isn’t the first hit game to have had a bad press and it won’t be the last. It’s really popular with younger gamers and, of course, parents should keep a close eye on what their kids are playing and doing online.
“But, like many games, Fortnite is a really fun and sociable way to spend free time and, like everything, should be enjoyed responsibly.
“Fortnite is great for players of all ages and, honestly, the best thing parents can do is to take an active interest in the game and get involved by playing alongside their children.
“Having lived and breathed esports for 20 years, I know that gaming can bring out the best in people.
“It’s a playground for digital natives, where you have to stay up-to-date with the latest technology and sometimes invent new ways to do things – highly important skills in many modern workplaces.
“Esports and gaming is here to stay, and the people who can make a name for themselves can expect a long and successful career ahead.”
People like UK Fortnite player Mongraal – who is going from strength to strength.
“Fortnite is great for players of all ages and, honestly, the best thing parents can do is to take an active interest in the game and get involved by playing alongside their children.”
Sujoy Roy, Luckbox
Prince Harry’s comments do appear to be out of touch. Did he not realise what the game did for the England camp in last year’s World Cup?
Sujoy was among other experienced esports personalities who criticised Harry’s comments and the general reporting of this story by the mainstream press:
These claims about Fortnite, or any game for this matter, are anti-scientific as well as laughably out of touch. I was writing about this after a dreadful Panorama documentary almost a decade ago and people are still peddling the same bullshit.https://t.co/w3fgMTpSYW
— Richard Lewis (@RLewisReports) April 4, 2019
“[fortnite is] created to addict, an addiction to keep you in front of a computer for as long as possible. It’s so irresponsible.”
It’s irresponsible to talk about something when you have little to no knowledge and cant present a balanced view.https://t.co/VWrsX3MmXM— Redeye (@PaulChaloner) April 4, 2019

Dom is an award-winning writer and finalist of the Esports Journalist of the Year 2023 award. He graduated from Bournemouth University with a 2:1 degree in Multi-Media Journalism in 2007.
As a long-time gamer having first picked up the NES controller in the late ’80s, he has written for a range of publications including GamesTM, Nintendo Official Magazine, industry publication MCV and others. He worked as head of content for the British Esports Federation up until February 2021, when he stepped back to work full-time on Esports News UK and offer esports consultancy and freelance services. Note: Dom still produces the British Esports newsletter on a freelance basis, so our coverage of British Esports is always kept simple – usually just covering the occasional press release – because of this conflict of interest.