British FIFA YouTuber Craig “NepentheZ” Douglas and business partner Dylan Rigby have pleaded guilty to promoting unlawful gambling on a FIFA coins website.
They previously pleaded not guilty last October – as outlined in this article by PCGamesN.
The pair ran the FUT Galaxy website which allowed users to bet FIFA coins on real life football matches, and sell coins on an online black market for money.
Dylan Rigby (who lives in Colchester) will have to pay £174,000 and Nepenthez (from Dorset) is set to pay £91,000 overall, including prosecution costs and fines, according to PCGamesN.
It is the first time the UK Gambling Commission has prosecuted over a gambling site tied in with currency from a video game, the BBC reports.
As reported by The Guardian, District judge Jack McGarva said: “Children were gambling on your site. It’s impossible for me to know how many or the effect on them.
“In my opinion, both of you were aware of the use of the site by children and the attractiveness of it to children. At the very least, you both turned a blind eye to it.”
NepentheZ wrote a long apology in series of tweets.
He said: “The worst year of my life concluded today. I owe a huge apology and debt of gratitude to my loyal supporters. Even if this is the end of our journey together, I’m grateful.”
The worst year of my life concluded today. I have so much to say, but you’ll take whatever judgement you feel needed from the press.
— NepentheZ (@NepentheZ) February 6, 2017
I want to thank all of those that have supported me through my journey. I would understand any viewers choice to no longer watch my content
— NepentheZ (@NepentheZ) February 6, 2017
I owe a huge apology to my family and close friends for putting them through this process, and appreciate all those that stood by me.
— NepentheZ (@NepentheZ) February 6, 2017
I also owe a huge apology and debt of gratitude to my loyal supporters. Even if this is the end of our journey together, I’m grateful.
— NepentheZ (@NepentheZ) February 6, 2017
I’ll upload a video in due course presenting my side of the story. The facts remain I plead guilty to 2 charges, and a substantial fine
— NepentheZ (@NepentheZ) February 6, 2017
Was the outcome. I’d like once again to apologise to everyone and thank you all for being a part of my life. May our journey go forth.
— NepentheZ (@NepentheZ) February 6, 2017
It’s a landmark ruling in the area of video game-based online gambling, which has become an increasingly hot topic over the past year following the CSGO Lotto scandal.

Dom is an award-winning writer and finalist of the Esports Journalist of the Year 2023 award. He graduated from Bournemouth University with a 2:1 degree in Multi-Media Journalism in 2007.
As a long-time gamer having first picked up the NES controller in the late ’80s, he has written for a range of publications including GamesTM, Nintendo Official Magazine, industry publication MCV and others. He worked as head of content for the British Esports Federation up until February 2021, when he stepped back to work full-time on Esports News UK and offer esports consultancy and freelance services. Note: Dom still produces the British Esports newsletter on a freelance basis, so our coverage of British Esports is always kept simple – usually just covering the occasional press release – because of this conflict of interest.