Riot Games has today announced League of Legends patch 13.20, bringing with it details of the LoL Worlds 2023 Clash tournament, as well as jungle and smite changes.
LoL Worlds 2023 Clash: Rewards, Dates and More
As the Worlds 2023 play-ins kick off today, with Faker speaking about the Worlds/T1 Mercedes partnerships, team formation for the first weekend of Worlds Clash has also begun.
The LoL Worlds 2023 Clash tournaments will take place on October 14th and 15th 2023, while the second weekend of Worlds Clash will run in Patch 13.21.
In addition to the Trophy, Banner, and Logo rewards from other Clash tournaments, LoL Worlds 2023 Clash has an additional Loot Capsule as a reward. The Capsule contains the following:
- For Worlds Clash participants (Premium and Basic tickets) who finish 1st place: World’s Event Capsule
- For Worlds Clash participants with Premium tickets who finish between 1st – 7th place: Championship Skin Permanent
- For Worlds Clash participants with Premium tickets who finish between 8th – 15th place: Championship Skin Shard
Since LoL Worlds 2023 Clash is a 16-team bracket instead of the usual 8-team bracket, there will be an additional level of rewards based on number of wins/losses in the orbs and capsules for LoL Worlds 2023 Clash:
- Basic Ticket: 0W, 3L: 3 Win XP Boost, 1 Mystery Icon, 1 Clash Logo
- Basic Ticket: 1W, 3L: 1 Mystery Emote, 640 Ward Skin, 1 Clash Logo
- Basic Ticket: 2W, 2L: 640 Ward Skin, 975 Skin Shard,1 Mystery Icon, 1 Mystery Emote, 1 Clash Logo, 1 Basic Ticket
- Basic Ticket: 3W, 1L: 640 Ward Skin, 975 Skin Shard, 1350 Skin Shard, 1 Mystery Icon, 1 Mystery Emote, 1 Chibi Icon, 1 Clash Logo, 1 Basic Ticket
- Basic Ticket: [World’s Clash ONLY] 4W: 640 Ward Skin, 975 Skin Shard, 1350 Skin Shard, 1 Mystery Icon, 1 Mystery Emote, 1 Chibi Icon, 1 Clash Logo, 1 Basic Ticket, Worlds Orb/Capsule
- Premium Ticket: 0W, 3L: 1 Basic Ticket, 500 OE, 750 Skin Shard, 1 Logo
- Premium Ticket: 1W, 3L: 1 Basic Ticket, 500 OE, 750 Skin Shard, 975 Skin Shard, 1350 Skin Shard, 1 Logo
- Premium Ticket: 2W, 2L: 1 Basic Ticket, 750 OE, 750 Skin Shard, 975 Skin Shard, 1350 Skin Shard, 1820 Skin Shard, 1 Logo
- Premium Ticket: 3W, 1L: 1 Basic Ticket, 750 OE, 750 Skin Shard, 975 Skin Shard, 1350 Skin Shard, 1820 Skin Shard,1 Chibi Icon, 10 Mythic Essence, 1350 Skin, 1 Logo
- Premium Ticket: [World’s Clash ONLY] 4W: 1 Basic Ticket, 750 OE, 750 Skin Shard, 975 Skin Shard, 1350 Skin Shard, 1820 Skin Shard,1 Chibi Icon, 10 Mythic Essence, 1350 Skin, 1 Logo, Worlds Orb/Capsule
Patch 13.20 makes it easier for LoL players to smite objectives as part of confirmed jungle changes
Riot said its udating Smite ‘to make it more user-friendly’. If a player’s cursor is now on top of a Large or Epic monster, minion, or champion, it will Smite that target, as normal. However, if the cursor isn’t hovering over an allowed target, it will now automatically target the closest Epic monster within a small radius.
“This means junglers can still Smite Dragons or Baron even with a massive Cho’Gath in the way simply by moving their cursor off to the side,” Riot said in the 13.20 patch notes. “We still think it’s valuable for timing to matter, but requiring precise aiming for Smite is not something we want to subject junglers to.
“Otherwise, we’re lowering Smite’s overall damage output when aimed at enemy champions and pets. It’s now primarily meant to be a slow with some minor damage attached, as opposed to an actual true damage nuke.”
Nerfs have also been made to jungle pets, and Riot is slowing down jungle clears after the first clear by giving jungle monsters slightly higher health scaling.
The Rift Scuttler will also have more health and give more gold and experience at higher levels.
Riot has also made anti-poaching adjustments, snowballing changes, lane minion experience changes for junglers, buffs to non-jungler starter items and more. Movement speed for Waterwalking is also being lowered.
In terms of dragons, Riot said: “Drakes currently offer a sizable amount of stats that the winning team generally gets access to. While contesting drakes is valuable to the game in both solo queue and pro play, we believe there’s room to reduce the amount of stats that the Dragon Slayer stacks give, and to buff the souls to incentivize still taking them. We’re not including Chemtech among these changes since the power level of the Dragon Slayer stack and the soul is already in a reasonable state.”
The baron is getting more health, while the rift herald is giving 100 local gold rather than 200.
LoL streamer Dantes outlined his views on some of the initial announcements before the official patch notes below:
There are lots more changes announced below.
Dom is an award-winning writer and finalist of the Esports Journalist of the Year 2023 award. He graduated from Bournemouth University with a 2:1 degree in Multi-Media Journalism in 2007.
As a long-time gamer having first picked up the NES controller in the late ’80s, he has written for a range of publications including GamesTM, Nintendo Official Magazine, industry publication MCV and others. He worked as head of content for the British Esports Federation up until February 2021, when he stepped back to work full-time on Esports News UK and offer esports consultancy and freelance services. Note: Dom still produces the British Esports newsletter on a freelance basis, so our coverage of British Esports is always kept simple – usually just covering the occasional press release – because of this conflict of interest.